Monday, November 10, 2008

Why I love being married: Part 1

When I first started writing this blog, I had no idea how much I would enjoy it. It's been so fun for me to receive your immediate reactions to the posts either via the comments section of the blog or through email. Please, keep it coming! All your feedback will shape the content of this blog in some manner or form, I promise.

Case in point, I received a couple emails over the weekend in response to some of the posts of last week. The common thread between the two emails was the belief that marriage also needs to be about having fun, allowing for spontaneity and time to just goof off together without having to over think everything. I couldn't agree more.

Reflecting on what I've written over the last two weeks, it struck me that someone not that familiar with mine and Adriano's relationship might think it seems like just too much work. After all, there seems to be an awful lot of planning, discussing, and more planning that happens. Where's the fun?! Do we have fun?

Of course we do! We actually have a lot of fun together, from the things we do to the inside jokes that we have with one another. Simply stated, marriage is a wonderful thing. And I thank God every day for bringing Adriano into my life. I can't imagine my life without him and truly believe that I am a better person in the world with him than I likely could be without him. My life is full of fun and love with Adriano.

So, in honor of the good, fun, light-hearted and just beautiful parts of being married, I thought this week we could take a reprieve from talking about communication methods for protecting and nurturing that love to share the reasons why we love being married in the first place. So, I'll start. Again, I would love some participation here. Trust me, it'll be a lot more fun if we get some different perspectives than just my own.

Why I love being married | #1: Less planning
I totally love to plan (as you all are well aware of by now.) And so does Adriano. But, honestly, much of the planning that happened before we got married was mentally exhausting and rather unproductive. We were constantly planning two routes, the road we took together and the separate paths we'd each take in the event that things didn't work out. Now granted, we weren't talking about both plans. There was the plan in the foreground, which was the plan that accounted for the needs and perspectives of the two of us. This is the plan that we talked about and worked on together. But, regardless of whether we talked about it or not, we always had the bail out plan, the plan in the background that involved only me or only him. © 2008 - Brianna Sylver - All rights reserved

Had you asked me even a month before we got married if I (we) did this, I'm not sure that I could have answered the question. It was only on our honeymoon did I notice that I did it constantly because suddenly I wasn't doing it anymore and haven't done it since. After our wedding, there was a weight that came off the shoulders and a new sense commitment that I felt towards our relationship. I love this feeling of being in it together through thick and thin. Which brings me to my second reason as to why I love being married.

#2: I get to have my best friend around all the time
Adriano is always there for me and I for him. When it's time to celebrate, I've got someone there immediately. When I'm sick, I have someone to take care of me. When I'm feeling all cuddly, I've got someone there to cuddle with. When I need a kick in the pants to get moving on something, he's there to push me in the right direction. You get where I'm going with this...he is there to experience every aspect of life with me. He knows what I like, what I don't like, my strengths, my weakness, and we've always got each others back. Who can't love having a protector, a support and a confidant all in one person? And to top it off, my best friend just happens to be the same person I get to hug, kiss and snuggle up to. There's nothing better in my book!

OK, this is just a start. More tomorrow...

© 2008 - Brianna Sylver - All rights reserved


1 comment:

  1. Very nice Brianna. I love reading your blog. Although I am not 'married' I feel the same way about being around Bill all the time. Yesterday, after a long and rather frustrating day at work, it was so nice to come home and vent. That venting is even better when the person understands just what you mean and even relates it to something you have first hand seen them experience. When your partner makes those connections it is easy to tell they are listening AND relating to your experience. For me this makes me feel closer because I feel understood.

    ReplyDelete