Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wisdom from the pages of "Oprah"

I was catching up on my magazine reading last night, reading the March 2009 issue of "Oprah," and came across a phrase that I thought to be of "Aha" quality.
"Will my response help create the relationship I want or damage it?" - Peter Walsh
This question relates a lot to a post I wrote a few weeks ago called, "Do you react or respond?" Asking yourself this question above, before reacting to the situation, gives you the permission to pause. Answering this question ensures that you've accounted for the consequence of your reaction. And if inserted into the "heat of the moment," you might find that the dynamics of the interaction, whether it be with your spouse, friend or colleague, will change dramatically, as it forces you to view the relationship as a whole, instead of wading around in the details as any argument promotes.

2 comments:

  1. I love this:

    "Answering this question ensures that you've accounted for the consequence of your reaction"

    Sometimes I use that moment of reflection to craft a meaner response (er, reaction) rather than being truly mindful how my reaction will affect my relationship as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Marie!

    I know...sometimes it's hard to "pause," but I find the outcome is always better than when you forge ahead head strong. Remember the adage..."practice makes perfect!" : )

    ReplyDelete