Sunday, October 26, 2008

Reinvigorating relationships with the spirit of innovation: My intent for this blog

First things first, let me just mention that I’m not a marriage therapist. Nor am I a psychologist, psychiatrist, counselor, life coach, or belong to any other profession where I might regularly engage in activity where I advise people on how to operate in their daily lives. What I am, however, is an innovator, a designer, an ethnographer, a problem solver and a facilitator. The content of this blog will be rooted in the spirit of innovation, invention, iteration, and prototyping and how these principles apply to marriage and your most intimate relationships. © 2008 - Brianna Sylver - All rights reserved

What I plan to offer is a fresh perspective on how to think about marriage. Over the years, I’ve found the same methods and frameworks that I use in my consulting work at Sylver Consulting to be quite helpful in opening the lines of communication with my husband of two years, Adriano Galvão. Just like any couple, we have our days and moments when we don’t see eye-to-eye about something or where one of us doesn’t feel sufficiently appreciated. I’ve learned that you can dwell on the problem in a “whoa is me” sort of fashion or you can treat it as a business issue that’s threatening to erode your profits and stagnate your company’s growth in a way that demands a response ASAP. (OK, I know I'm being a bit dramatic here, but I beg you...go with it for a minute).

My role in my professional life is to bring “design thinking” into organizations, teaching my clients how think through their problems and address them in unique and different ways that often times challenge the status quo. I think a lot of good can be gained by applying those same principles of thought and senses of urgency that are fostered in business to our most intimate relationships. I hope that this blog will become a forum for discussion, really tying actions to the advice that's handed out like candy when you get married–Don't take your partner for granted!

© 2008 - Brianna Sylver - All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment